- Why is it important to examine excess mortality data?
- How is excess mortality measured? Who measures it?
- Key issues for comparing rates of excess mortality across/within nations.
- Considering the comparability of statistical measures of excess mortality.
- Why the age distribution matters.
- What can we learn comparing P-scores from the European ‘all ages’ data?
- Excess mortality for other European age groups: ‘15-64’ and ‘85+’.
- Data and models
- Our own work in this area:
A pandemic primer on excess mortality statistics and their comparability across countries - Our World in Data blog post
Aron, J. & Muellbauer, J. (2020). 'Excess mortality statistics in the pandemic and country comparisons'. Presentation for Federal Reserve Bank Dallas, 28 July 2020.